Here is my version of a drive on tilt over antenna mast mount built entirely out of box store parts. The design requires only four cuts, some box stores will even cut the wood for you. Since it’s all wood anyone with experience building things can put it together in a few hours.
The mount can support a reasonable sized mast I’m planing on using 40′ of chain link fence top section, just be reasonable. Also the mount can be used for a vertical monopole mast radiator the wood should provide sufficient insulation (if it’s dry) for typical 100w operations. I will demonstrate the mast radiator monopole in future post.
- 8 x 5/16″ x 18 T-Nuts
- 4 x 1/4″ x 20 T-Nuts
- 12 #10 x 24 T-Nuts
- 8 x 5/16″ x 18 x 1 1/2″ hex head bolts (See bolt head type image)
- 4 x 1/4″ x 20 x 1″ flat head bolts (See bolt head type image)
- 5 x #10 x 24 x 1″ flat head bolts (See bolt head type image)
- 6 x #10 x 24 x 1 1/2″ truss head or pan head with washer bolts (See bolt head type image)
- 2 x #10 x 24 wingnut
- 8 x 5/16″ washers
- 8 x 5/16″ split washers aka lock washers
- 3 x U-Bolts of your choosing remember to get long legs as they will need to go through the 3/4″ board
- 1 x 2 ft x 4 ft x 3/4″ or similar plywood I used 22/32″ it came 2 ft x 4 ft
- 1 x 4″ L-Bracket
- 2 x barn door hinge see picture
- Wood Glue
- Blue Loctite ( DO NOT USE THE RED IF YOU EVER WANT TO TAKE IT APART!)
- Paint if you want
The 2ft x 4ft plywood is cut into 4 pieces all the cuts are along the 4ft side so the remaining pieces will all be 2ft long.
- 2 x 16″ x 24″
- 1 x 6″ x 24″
- 1 x 4″ x 24″
The two 16″ x 24″ boards get bolted and glued together to form the base. The 6″ x 24″ board forms the tilt up mast support and the 4″ x 24″ board is used as the locking board.
I will add some layout drawings to this post when I get back from vacation. Please by all means modify the design to suit your needs. Post pics of your mount on the HamPrepper Facebook page